If you wish to make a complaint regarding a food premise, you are required to complete the Food Business Complaint Form and submit to the Shire, your personal details will not be divulged to the alleged.

Food Business Complaint Form

Food Businesses

All “Food Businesses” are required to notify and where applicable, be registered with the Shire prior to selling any “food” products.

According to the Food Act 2008, “Food Business” means:

“A business, enterprise or activity (other than a business, enterprise or activity that is primary food production) that involves:

  1. the handling of food intended for sale; or
  2. the sale of food, regardless of whether the business, enterprise or activity concerned is of a commercial, charitable or community nature or whether it involves the handling or sale of food on one occasion only.


Food businesses are currently governed by the following legislation:

  • Food Act 2008 (the Act)
  • Food Regulations 2009 (the Regulations)
  • Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code (the Code)

Copies of the Act and Regulations can be downloaded at the State Law Publisher website  Copies of the Code are available at the FSANZ website The FSANZ website also has a number of user guides to help explain the Code further.

Australian Standard (AS 4674-2004) Design, construction and fit-out of food premises can provide you with good detail and advice on your proposed food business.

This document is copyrighted and can be purchased from SAI Global at

The Western Australian Department of Health has also produced a number of useful publications for the food industry which are available at

Notification and Registration

To notify the Shire of Yilgarn, you are required to complete and submit the Food Business Notification Form with applicable fees.

Food Business Notification Form

"I’m Alert" - Free Online Food Training

The Shire offers a free online food training program called "I’m Alert", which can be completed by following this link.

Online Food Training