Rubbish & Landfill
General Rubbish (green lid bin) is collected every Thursday from premises receiving a service in Bodallin, Moorine Rock and Marvel Loch and every Friday in Southern Cross.
Recycling (yellow lid bin) is collected on the second and fourth Friday of each month in Southern Cross, Marvel Loch, Moorine Rock and Bodallin.
Important information for rubbish and recycling collections:
- Only 240 litre MGB “Wheelie Bins” with lids will be collected;
- Bins should be placed no further than one (1) metre from the road with the handle facing away from the road;
- Bins should be put out by 6.00am on the day of collection;
- If your bin is damaged the Shire has limited parts available;
- If you require a new or replacement recycling bin (yellow lid), you need to contact Avon Waste on 08 9641 1318 to order a replacement. Fees apply.
- If you require a new or replacement general rubbish bin (green lid), you need to contact the Shire administration office on 08 9049 1001. Fees apply.
- Only household rubbish should be placed in the general rubbish bins.
- For information on what recyclables can be accepted in the recycling bins (yellow lid), please click here.
The Shire has a rubbish transfer station in Southern Cross as well as public access landfill sites at Marvel Loch, Moorine Rock, Bullfinch and Bodallin. There is a landfill site in Southern Cross which is currently not open to the public unless by prior arrangement.
The Shire has several bulk recycling bins for use by all residents located at the Southern Cross Transfer Station and the Southern Cross Sports Complex.
The following should be noted, regarding use of the landfills:
- Scavenging is NOT permitted, penalties apply;
- Asbestos is only accepted at the Southern Cross Landfill by prior arrangement, click this link for the asbestos deposit request form;
- Bulk rubbish loads should be deposited at the Southern Cross landfill site by prior arrangement;
- Fees and charges apply for commercial operators, see link attached;
- The Shire operates a sullage pit that accepts septic and grease trap waste, collected by authorised controlled waste carriers.