Community development is a process in which community members come together to take collective action and develop solutions to common problems. It involves engaging communities in policy making, planning, program development and evaluation. It is about government providing the opportunity for community initiatives in a ‘bottom up’ approach.
Here are a few examples the Shire of Yilgarn facilitates community development through:
- Providing funding for community and sporting groups through the annual community funding program
- Providing access to and maintaining venues and facilities for use by sporting and community groups
- Operating the Community Resource Centre
- Employment of a Manager Community Services to assist with capacity building initiatives
- Administrative support and assistance with marketing, publicity and accessing external grant funds.